Monday, April 18, 2011

Vertex: A Chain, A Frame, and 2 Wheels



The 80's Fuji Track frame I've recently acquired was sold to me with a chain, however, sometimes I like to put new things on my old bikes.  I want to set up this track bike as well as possible.  I didn't want to leave a used chain on it.  In searching the web for a track specific chain I found this one.  However, I wasn't finding that it was sold in my immediate area, and to have it shipped from somewhere in the U.S. would have cost just as much (or more) than having it shipped from Japan.  I went ahead and purchased it from a track-specific shop in Japan, Track Supermarket.  I ordered it less than a week ago, and wasn't expecting to receive it for at least another week and a half.  That was fine with me, I'm in no rush and it's half way around the world.  I was excited when it arrived though.  I'm one step closer to getting this bike ready to ride.  


Another cool thing about putting it together is that I found the perfect wheel set for it within days of getting it.  Instead of spending over $600 (for a hub set, rims, spokes, and tires) and then take the time to build them, I only had to spend $270 (including shipping!) for a complete set of wheels with Sunshine Professional track hubs (110mm rear) and Ukai rims.  These are actually the ones that came original on the Fuji Track bike in 1982.  This is all thanks to Abbas, who had posted them in a classified ad over 7 months ago that nobody ever responded to (until now).  It is like they were waiting for me this whole time. 

 'Vertex' is the name given to the chain I just bought.  Some definitions of vertex are: 'The highest point,' 'The point at which the sides of an angle intersect,' 'The point of a triangle, cone, or pyramid that is opposite to and farthest away from its base.'  There are others, but the main idea is that it is referring to a point of convergence of two (or more) separate entities a fair distance from their starting points.  These parts (frame, chain, wheels) for this track bike are converging from different places (New York, Texas, Japan) to form the whole of the bike itself.  Pretty cool.

I still have to put the headset back together, purchase the cogs and lock rings, maybe buy a new crank and bottom bracket, then it should be ready to go.  Stay tuned for more updates on its progress.

No comments: